Papa Nurgle’s been kicking my ass. And to think... I’m one of his more devoted followers...
So, I’d used some scrap warriors from the bins and a lot of leftover blades to make some passable Flayed Ones. But they still needed a bit more to really sell it. Not much, but a few touches.
I’d used some of the blades and old Dark Eldar helmet crests to make spikes along the spines of these guys, but I also wanted the trophies that show up in all the art. At first I was just going to put some extra skulls on their shoulders, but then I happened to stumble across a few of the skulls-on-spikes that are on the new Dark Eldar Raider. They worked perfectly, so I scattered about half a dozen of them through the squad. One guy ended up with two, just to make him stand out as an unofficial sergeant/ champion of the squad.
I also added a few skulls and bones to the base. I’d found a bunch of Dire Wolf ribs in the bits bins, and they looked nice and creepy. The Kroot sprue is great for stuff like this, too, and the bins always have tons of Kroot accessories. There’s severed thigh, part of a ribcage with meat on it, and a cloak lined with bones which makes a great bit of flayed flesh and meat.
I also used some of these pieces on the base here and there to reinforce and support some of my patched-together feet.
Then came the big part. Long pieces of flesh. I knew the model needed these, but I wanted this to be a simple green stuff project. Because I know my limits.
I just went for simple strips. I’d make a very small ball of green stuff (maybe half the size of a pea), roll it into a snake, and then carefully flatten it and stretch it. I needed this to be thin so it looked like skin and/or hides, but nor so thin it would fall apart if something brushed against it.
For most of the figures I just draped a long piece over the shoulders. I’d let it hang over an arm on some, and on others it would just sit like a scarf. On three or four of them, I tried to make loops to help hide some of the scratch-built arms. They didn’t turn out horrible, but not all that great, either. Overall, I’m happy with the results.
Helpful Hint—Keep your fingers damp. Not full-on wet, but damp. The more complicated the work you’re doing is, the more important it is to keep your fingers damp. The moment they get dry the green stuff will cling, and when it’s this thin it’ll just tear apart when you try to peel it away (he said from experience).
A few of the dangling bits looked a little too... well, round. They looked more blobby and melted than sliced and skinned. So I went back with my clippers and cut a few of the ends to sharper points, and added splits in a few. It’s a little thing, but I think it helped a lot.
As I’ve said before, I’m not the greatest painter, but here’s what worked for me. I primed them black and then hit them with an aluminum chrome spray paint I’ve used on all my Necrons. A drybrush of Leadbelcher actually knocks it down a bit, and then some Abaddon Black on the thighs, upper arms, and spine. Granted, this means all of my Flayed ones came from the same dynasty, but I like having that bit of unity on the tabletop (maybe I’ll dab in other colors to hint at other dynasties). I did a few of the thighs in Khorne Red to give the sense of lots and lots of blood that’s dripped down and dried.
Then I did the flesh in different... well, flesh tones, but drybrushed all of them with rotting flesh. Then I splashed on some blood red and red ink (yes, I still have some red ink). I made a point of painting the hands red, and also the mouths. The models in the codex just looked a little too neat and clean to me. The whole idea of the flayer curse is these things are eating their victims, even if they can’t digest them.
And there you have it. I got the bodies from the bitz bins, so I think this whole project cost me maybe ten bucks total, but it’d be a cheap conversion even if I had to buy a box of Warriors to start with. In retrospect, I would’ve liked to add in one or two Deathmark heads, just to show some of the different Necrons who’ve fallen to the curse. Ahhh, well. Maybe if I find some more bits. I may even paint up a Necron Lord in gore-colors to be Varghul of the Bone Kingdoms of Drazakh.