Imperial Knights, Part V—The Quickie

I’m kind of bombarded with things right now.  Friends in from out of town, lurking at my friend Craig’s book signing this weekend (check out Suffer The Children—it’s amazing), trying to get caught up on my own book.  Long and short of it is, I didn’t get as much done this week as I wanted.      

Well, I did get a lot done, but I didn’t get a lot finished.  So I could show you some random, unconnected sections.  Or I could focus on one piece I scratch built that’s kind of important.

As I mentioned last time, some template issues ended up giving me a slightly messy join on the Knight’s shoulder trim.  I deliberately attached the shoulders so one of the bad joins would end up on the front-right.  I mentioned I had a plan—it’s a pretty simple plan.  The bad join will be hidden by the Knight’s heraldry shield.  The catch is that this template doesn’t have that piece—it’s a new detail they’ve added on the Games Workshop model.
So, how to build a heraldry shield...

I measured out two rectangles of card measuring 1” wide by 1 1/4” long.  I’m doing two because I want to have them overlap for a nice thickness.  If you don’t mind the shield being a little thin, you can just do one.

Helpful Hint—Make sure the measurements and cuts for this are as exact as possible.  I want this to look clean when it overlaps.

Once I had both rectangles.  I marked the 1/2” point on the bottom (the center) and made two 45 degree cuts—again, being as exact as possible.  This gave me a basic shield shape.  If I just wanted to keep things simple, I could stop here and it would still bring the model that much closer to the GW one.  But if you’re up for a little more detail on this...

If I’ve done everything right so far, the the top section above the 45 degree angle should be 3/4” high.  I marked it off in 1/4” sections on both shields.  Then I lined up my 1/4” hole punch to give me a semicircle.  This took a bit of work to get it lined up just right.

Helpful Hint—If the semi-circles end up a little off and don’t line up when the shields stack, nominate one as the bottom and just trim that one to hide the overlaps.

I used a thin coat of glue and pressed them together.  I clamped it with five clothespins to make every edge as tight and clean as possible.  I let the whole thing sit for about ten minutes and then I used my hobby knife to just nip off the bottom tip of the shield--I wanted to look a little more rounded and not quite so pointy.  And then I mounted it on the edge of the shoulder so it hid that bad piece of trim.   It’ll probably get a few rivets, too, when I hit that stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment